Skip to main content

Writing the Scriptures

Hi folks

 


 

Today's passage for our February Challenge is two very important verses to me personally.  On the night of the interviews for selection for training for ordination, I was deeply troubled.  Not that I didn't want to be ordained - quite the opposite!  

I had travelled to Dublin for a series of interviews, held over a long weekend, to be selected for training for the Non-Stipendary Ministry, which would allow me to continue the work I had as a Computer Consultant, and be ordained to help out in parishes within the Diocese of Connor.  I had a very successful business in Lisburn/Belfast and the surrounding areas - and could afford to actually turn work down to suit my schedule.

During the process, I was more and more convicted in my spirit that God was directing me to train for full-time ministry - which would mean having to sacrifice my business and income, and put a tremendous pressure on my wife and very young family (Naomi was 9, Ben was 3).  I would have to live in Dublin at the Theological College during the week, and be home at weekends; leaving Kim to continue to work part-time, look after the family and the house, and all on a greatly reduced income to the house.

That was probably the first night that I had stayed up all night in prayer and conversation with God.  These were in the "dark ages" when you couldn't phone home on your mobile - unless you were prepared to spend £5 per minute!  While I prayed, I felt God lay these verses on my heart - Proverbs 3: 5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

I spent the next day (Sunday) deep in prayer.  On the journey home to Lisburn, my friend Colin, remarked that I was being very quiet.  He didn't push me for an explanation, and allowed me to continue until we got home.  As I watched him drive off towards his home in Carrickfergus, I told Kim that I had something very important to tell her before I could start to tell her about the interview process.  She informed me that before I would tell her anything, she had something very important and urgent to tell me - and she shocked me by telling me that in her prayers the previous evening, God had told her to be prepared for a long journey, I was leaving my job to study full-time!

I shouldn't have been concerned - God told me he would "direct my paths", and true to his word, he is still directing us today!  What a blessed few verses, and they started my journey from Lisburn in 2006 to Brookeborough in 2021 - and I'll be trusting him for directoins in the future!

Regards

Johnny

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AccessNI Check process

 Hi folks Please see the following pages for the process of getting our AccessNI accreditation for our Sunday School and GFS leaders and helpers. You will need to print out the pages and keep a special note of the long number provided to you by email and let me know as soon as possible. We require an Enhanced check for everyone - and use the PIN number 918066 as detailed on the first page. The second page details the forms of identification you will need to provide - one from the first group, and two from the second group. The quicker we can all get the checks completed, the sooner we can get everything back to normal and put this whole process behind us for another three years! If you can photograph yourself (by smartphone or tablet) and email (revdjohnny@gmail.com) or WhatsApp (07488371680) them to me, that'd be great. I will also be available at the Parish Hall on Monday evening from 7pm to 8pm to help you with anything you would like assistance with! If you need any help at all

Pray for Peace

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.” Matthew 5:9   The Holy Land, the place sanctified by the presence of prophets, poets, and priests, crying out for justice, urging on towards hope, and seeking after peace, has been, and continues to be a place sacred to millions of people around the world. We have watched with horror the appalling violence that has been unleashed over the last few days around this sacred place. We have seen families devastated, communities shattered, and countless lives lost.   We, as followers of Jesus are called in this time to pray.    Pray for the end of hostilities, pray for the protection of the most vulnerable on both sides in Israel and Gaza, and pray for a recommitment to a lasting peace between Israelis and Palestinians. We also pray that God might grant comfort to the afflicted, healing to the broken, strength to the weak, and courage to those in authority to lay down the instruments of violence and destruction and stud

Where is forgiveness?

Hi folks I was thinking about the passages for next Sunday, and it brought me to considering the current press coverage regarding the This Morning presenters.  This might be a little controversial - but please, hear me out.  I have no great opinion on what's happening in the media regarding the "This Morning" saga. It seems mistakes have been made, and certainly people misled - but the frenzy and hounding of Phillip Schofield is both unnecessary and unwarranted. I'm very uncomfortable that some members the press and celebrities have made it their lives mission to destroy everything  Mr Schofield has ever done!  It cannot be easy to listen and read so much vitriol being used against him! There's certainly no Christian love being shown to him on the media these days. I remember the words of Jesus when he told us to love one another, and that whoever has not sinned should cast the first stone. I'm certainly not perfect in any way, and don't believe that anyon